TDOs are TECHNICAL DESIGN OFFICES. There are as many TDOs are there are technical domains. During construction, remedial or renovation works for domestic, industrial, commercial or professional usage architects or project managers will mandate TDOs to perform specific technical studies and files in their precise technical field for missions pertaining to conception, works or project execution, coordination, follow-up and supervision of construction and installations in line with technical and regulatory requirements. TDOs assist and advise architects and works contractors during the conception phases of projects including the conception of technical specifications related to their own field of expertise. TDOs widely use innovative digital technology. In France the largest certification qualifying TDOs is known as OPQIBI, however each technical specificity will have its own tailored quality certification.
- Structural TDOs establish the structural dimensioning and calculations for new buildings (collective and individual housing, shopping or commercial centres, office buildings, industrial buildings) and for the renovation or modification of existing buildings in all types of materials (wood, metal, concrete and mixed materials). Their role is to accompany the architect or works contractor on the structural feasibility of the construction, renovation, remediation of the structure in order to establish specifications and conclusions on modification works such as modifications to load-bearing walls, attic renovations, roof elevations and extensions (taking into account all relative norms and regulatory requirements).
Example: Conception error in sizing plans of metal beams during the construction of a warehouse. Cabinet Colautti defended the interests of their client a structural TDO using the Professional Civil Liability coverage and ensured the coverage of removal and replacement costs.
- Concrete TDOs produce plans for reinforcement, formwork and accompany the project manager during the conception phase. The TDO calculates the sizing and the resistance of concrete structures of various forms, for example staircases, beams, walls, foundations for their incorporation into the project/structure and their end use (taking into account all relative norms and regulatory requirements).
Example: Following the reception of a building destined for commercial use, a calculation error in reinforcement needs led to the use of the TDOs decennial responsibility (building solidity), Colautti Insurance accompanied their client during the claim. The demolition and reconstruction costs were covered by the client’s policy.
- Energy and electrical TDOs size, design and optimize electrical installations (high and low voltages). They perform assessments and installation plans for electrical management systems, technical installments, fire safety installations in coordination with digital and IT TDOs, IT and internet network installations, communication, security detection and lighting networks and design for low current networks such as home automation systems, technical building management, and photovoltaic networks (taking into account all relative norms and regulatory requirements).
- Climatic engineering TDOs design heating, ventilation, air treatment, air conditioning and fumigation installations. They conduct and design energy efficiency diagnostics such as DPEs (Energy performance diagnostics), regulatory thermic assessments taking into account the RT2012 regulations, studies aimed at the improvement of energy efficiency, conception of energy positive buildings such as bio-climatic buildings aimed at obtaining improved BBIO gradings (taking into account all relative norms and regulatory requirements).
- Fire safety TDOs assist and advise clients in the choice, sizing and implementation of in fire safety systems. They study, analyse, design, programme, organize monitoring and installation of the different phases of a full functioning fire and building safety system. (taking into account all relative norms and regulatory requirements).
- Acoustics and vibration TDOs provide technical expertise in the field of building acoustics, machinery noise, environmental acoustics (taking into account all relative norms and regulatory requirements).
- Geotechnical TDOs perform ground stability assessments using large machinery such as a Comacchio Geo 205 penetrometer for pressiometric testing prior to construction works.
- Preliminary geotechnical assessment involving site work and integrating the General principles of Construction
- Conceptual Geotechnical assessments involving three phases; Pre-project, project and DCE/ACT phase
- Assessment and geotechnical monitoring follow-up during works comprising an assessment and follow-up phase and a further assessment phase
- Geotechnical supervision during works
- Supervision of the works assessment and follow-up
- Geotechnical diagnostic enabling the assessment of one or more geotechnical elements during an existing or for a future project (taking into account all relative norms and regulatory requirements).
- Roads and engineering TDOs design and produce studies for the conception of road, water and wired networks, urban planning and green spaces. Their role in the projects can be extended throughout the life of the project in management and oversight (taking into account all relative norms and regulatory requirements).
- Environmental TDO are involved in numerous types of studies for various clients. Environmental TDOs evaluate risks, future and past impacts of industrial, agricultural, construction and urban development activities. Environmental TDOs perform regulatory and technical studies following the Environmental code (Code de l’Environnement) and regulations for Classified Installations for Environmental Protection (ICPE). Pre-project assessments, post incident assessments (fire, spillage of hazardous liquids, explosions), site remediation and management plans, feasibility studies, conception of remedial works and impact assessments are all produced by Environmental TDOs (in-line with applicable regulations).
Focus: a property developer acquires a former industrial site and requests our TDO to perform an assessment of the soils and groundwater on and around the site. The assessment fails to identify a pollution spot which was identified during remedial works following the site management plans. Remedial works were immediately stopped, investigations carried out and the remedial plan modified.
The insurance policy will cover the consequences of the error under the Professional responsibility coverage.
- Building economist TDOs provide estimates and technical expertise for tender offers and bids related to large scale construction projects. Building economists provide guidance to the Project Manager on the choice of the best adapted bids for projects (in line with applicable regulations).
- Project Managers are individuals or companies responsible for the consruction project – from the conception stage through the bidding stage, the works supervision, coordination and execution. If planning permission is granted for less than 150m2 the project manager will follow the planning permission file through to the final delivery of construction compliance documents.
Focus: following the construction of a gym in a hotel complex, the owner informed our client, a project manager, of problems with the flooring. Following an expertise, the insurance company paid for the removal and relaying of the flooring.